Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Beginnings

I am so excited about this new journey. It's one that really started almost 8 years ago. That's when I decided to become a vegetarian. After a while of doing that, I decided I was ready to go to the next level - vegan! Let me clarify by saying that I didn't completely adopt the vegan lifestyle, I merely ate vegan. I don't have the convictions necessary to warrant that extreme of a change. For those who do, I think it's great, but that was never my goal.

I grew up not being that fond of meat, which was funny, because we raised sheep and ate them, and my dad hunted anything he could. I'm comfortable with other people eating meat, even in front of me, but at the time chose not to do so myself.

Back to eating vegan. I began the summer before I left for college, and felt extremely healthy. I exercised moderately, nothing extreme, but still reached my lowest weight I had ever had in my adult life. I was down to a size 6 and could share clothes with my 5-years-younger sister! I was ecstatic! Then I left for college. Cafeteria food, for a vegan, was sadly lacking. I made it through the fist few weeks, then transitioned back to eating cheese, milk, and eggs. I continued working out moderately, but still gained the "freshman 15"... plus about 5 more pounds over the course of that first year. By the beginning of my second year at college I was uncomfortable with my weight, even though I was still in the average range. I continued to be a vegetarian through college and the next year after. Then I met and married my husband, and that began to change. In order to simplify things, I introduced some fish into my diet. I was okay with that, so I moved on to chicken. No problems there, so red meat was brought into the picture. That brings us up to today - for the past 10 months or so, I have not been a vegetarian. Most people are very happy with this, especially my family. I was fine with it at first, too. That is, until I started gaining weight. Granted, I was not working out as I had been in the past. I know that had something to do with it, and my husband and I are working on changing that, as well. Now, at the heaviest I have ever been in my life (172 pounds - I am sad to admit it, but it's true), I know it's time for something to change. I need to have control over what I put into my body. It needs to be good for me. My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, and I should care for it as such. Do I think there is anything inherently wrong with eating meat? No. Do I enjoy eating meat? Yes. Is it something I am willing to give up for the sake of my health? YES! Food is just food, and I have placed too much importance on it lately.

I don't think it's fair to force my decisions on anyone, though. That is why, unless he chooses to join me, I will continue to cook meat for my husband. However, I still want to prepare healthy foods for us, so there are a few goals I want to meet:

1. I will prepare a meatless, if not vegan, meal at east 2 nights a week.
2. I will only buy organic meat, dairy, and egg products.
3. I will focus on incorporating all food groups into our meals, in the correct proportions.
4. I will purchase the food necessary to be a healthy vegan and still stay in line with our food budget.
5. I will plan our meals ahead of time, and purchase only the items needed for that week at the store.
6. I will acknowledge that this will be a difficult process, I will pray for God's strength, and I will stick with my plan!

I am very excited! This is going to be an interesting journey. I'm not exactly sure how I will start it, but I know I need to find ways to keep our food affordable. I also need to stock up on good vegan recipes - so good that my husband won't even know they're vegan! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan!

    Cafeteria food at ORU Vegan Style was pretty much impossible, although their eggs were all fake anyway.

    You might want to check out this website..

    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/food-recipes/healthy-staples

    I get their e-newsletter every day with all kinds of helpful info that I pass on to everyone else. The link I put is actually directly to the part of their site called "Eating for Health". Hopefully you can find some good info on there too.

    Also- Whole Foods website has a meal planner section that's really helpful. You can even search the items you want to include or do not want to include in a recipe.

    Okay one more thing and this is it I promise---check out the Farmer's Market. They have Meats/Dairy/Veggies that you can trust!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete